Calcutta National Medical College had its origin in the National Medical Institute, established in 1921.This institute is a product of the historical "Non Cooperation Movement". This institute is presently known as Calcutta National Medical College with. In 1967, the Institute was nationalized through a special bill and became one of the four nationalized Medical Colleges in Calcutta. It functions under the West Bengal University of Health Sciences.
The entire program of study for M.B.B.S course in Calcutta National Medical College consists of four semesters, out of which the first, third and fourth semesters are each of one year duration and the second semester is of one and half year duration. At the end of each semester exams are held. For admission, candidates are required to clear Joint Entrance Examination (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) as a prerequisite for studying Medical Science. The various departments of the college include Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic & State Medicine, Pharmacology, Community Medicine, Eye, ENT, Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology, and Pediatrics.
There are a total of six hostels for the male students of the college. There is only one hostel for the girl students of the college, popularly known as Ladys' Hostel. Library of CNMC provides all kinds of facilities of reading and Internet browsing. It has a collection of 17693 books and 42 journals. Computer center is run by the Alumni Association. Classes on Microsoft Office (MS Office are held on the working days within office hours.