St. Joseph’s College for Women, Trichy, established in 1844, is a grant-in-aid autonomous institution owned by the Society of Jesus. It is affiliated to the Bharathidasan University of Tamil Nadu. The College is recognized by UGC. It got accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2000 with five star rating. In 2002, it was adjudged as College with Potential for Excellence by UGC.
The College offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Arts, Science, Commerce and Management. It offers 12 research programs leading to M.Phil and PhD degrees. There is one PG Diploma Program in Computer Science & Computer Applications. Tamil, English, Economics and History departments have UG programs in Arts; Commerce department has a UG program in Commerce; Business Administration Department has one UG program in Management.
A bridge course in English is offered to all students and remedial courses are offered by most of the departments to slow learners. Teachers adopt different methods to help the students from diverse backgrounds. The college provides number of electives in need based courses and allied optional subjects. Innovative teaching methods include programming exercises in computers, development of computer skills, use of video conferencing facility, use of computer aided teaching programs, seminars, project work, group discussions, debate, and projects in industry environment.
The facilities made available in the Fr. Jerome Centre for Information and Communication Technologies and the Cyber Centre are of good quality to enhance higher education. The library is fully automated with student–friendly search mechanisms provided through the ‘Nirmal’ software. The library is fully networked.