The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore formerly known as the Arthur Hope College of Technology, was started in July 1945 in accordance with the general policy of the Government of Madras to give high priority to technical education. The well-known industrialist and philanthropist of Coimbatore, the Late G.D. Naidu, enabled the college to be started in July 1945. The College was then renamed Government College of Technology and was affiliated to the University of Madras in 1951.
Initially only Civil and Electrical Engineering branches were offered; Mechanical Engineering and Electronics & Communication Engineering were introduced later. Part-time B.E. Degree courses for serving Engineers (Diploma holders) were also started. The B.E. degree course in Production Engineering was introduced during 1978-79. Post-graduate degree courses in Applied Electronics (Digital Electronics), Production Engineering, Public Health Engineering, and Instrumentation and Control Engineering are now offered. The college is recognized by the Anna University for doing Doctoral work in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, and Applied Chemistry and Physics.
The department of Physical Education offers facilities for various games and track events. An open-air Gymnasium affords ample scope to those who are interested in Gymnastics. A spacious stadium provides space for about 800 spectators to witness the proceedings at the college grounds. There is also a well equipped Indoor gymnasium.
A placement and Training section functions in the college to help the students come into contact with prospective employers. Campus interviews are arranged frequently. Industrial training for the full time students during semester vacation is also arranged.