Ravenshaw College is located in Cuttack, Orissa. The college was established in 1878 for Thomas Edward Ravenshaw, a descendant of William Withers. The college was finally converted in 1876 to a full-fledged Government Degree College, bearing the name ‘Cuttack College’ affiliated to Calcutta University. The name of the college was changed to Ravenshaw College in 1878. It was granted permanent status in 1881.
Autonomous status was conformed upon Ravenshaw College in 1989 as the first autonomous college affiliated to Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. It has added a new dimension to the functioning of the college in achieving its academic goals and social objectives. At this college, every effort is made to constantly monitor, restructure and reorient the teaching methods. Autonomous status also allows for proper discussion and brings in reforms in matters relating to examinations, methods of evaluations and texts pertaining to award of the degrees by the university. Ravenshaw College offers courses in Arts, Science and Commerce.
The College library is called Kanika Library. It is the oldest and one of the largest libraries of the state. It takes to stock all the books required for reading by the students, research scholars and teachers. The Journal and Reference section is housed in the old building. It has 10,784 bound volumes of old journals besides the current journals subscribed. It also has in addition to above, reference books beyond the courses taught at present in the college, copies of M.Phil and Ph.D theses, for research purposes.
A Braille Library section has also been added since 2000 for the benefit of blind students.