The Nayagarh College started in 1961 with a humble strength of 100 students, 10 lecturers and almost as many office and laboratory staff. Over the years, it has grown to become one of the premier educational institutions in Orissa, with as many as 100 faculty members and close to 1600 Degree students. The college has recently been declared an autonomous institution by the UGC.
The scope of learning initially limited to P.U. Science and Humanities was expanded in succeeding years; first with the provision of first year degree in both the faculties and later with B.A. / B.Sc. classes affiliated to the Utkal University. Pass classes in English, Sanskrit, Political science, History, Economics, Psychology Philosophy, Physics, chemistry, Biology and Mathematics were introduced from the year 1962. Pass classes in Commerce, Education and Sociology were also introduced. From 1998, Seed Technology as a U.G.C. sponsored vocational subject has been opened for +3 CBZ pass students only.
The college Library has a total stock of 35,139, including 16,000 reference books and 5,000 books in the Book Bank. Reading Room is an integral part of the college library. It is an open access library which provides an opportunity to make good use of leisure time by going through books, journals periodicals, magazines and newspapers. There are two Men’s hostels and one women’s hostel which provide accommodation to the. The hostel common room provides newspapers and indoor games to the boarders. The MISHRA RAGA”, a literary magazine published every academic year, is produced by the students and staff-members of the college.