Gangadhar Meher College was established in 1944 as Sambalpur College. The name of the institution was changed to Gangadhar Meher College in 1949. The college has been functioning as an Autonomous College since 1991, and is managed and controlled by statutory and non-statutory bodies, as prescribed by the University Grants Commission. The autonomy of this institution has been extended up to 2005-2006 by the UGC, based on its academic reputation.
The college offers undergraduate and postgraduate level courses in the fields of Botany, Chemistry, Commerce, Economics, English, Geography, Oriya, History, Zoology, Sanskrit, and Philosophy. Various certificate and Diploma courses are also offered.
The minimum eligibility to apply for admission into the undergraduate courses is that the applicant must have passed +2 level exams with 40% marks in aggregate. An entrance test for admission into these courses is held. An entrance test for admission into various P.G. courses is also held; the students are admitted on the basis of marks secured in the entrance test and academic record.
There is an MCA department which conducts postgraduate programs in Computer Applications. This department is equipped with one of the richest computer books library in the state. It has produced computer professionals who are now working in various national and multinational organizations.
Gangadhar Meher College has seven hostels for residential accommodation of the students. Other infrastructure facilities have also been provided. The computer lab has 50 computer terminals with ISDN Internet access. The college library has 3000 volumes of books, along with a good number of digital CDs.